"The Best of Ross County" continues at the Pump House through the end of the month. The art of Ross County high school students cover the walls of the public art gallery in Chillicothe's Yoctangee Park.
A Unioto sophomore won 3rd place with a glowing, star-lit photo of herself.
Sarah Quanci says she just used what was at-hand and inspired her in her room, like a blue light bulb and an image of a galaxy on her TV. She says she makes a lot of self-portraits, because she is available as a model for herself.
She looks forward to an artistic career as a photographer, whether she goes to college or not.
Dominick Smith, a Unioto Junior, won "best of show" with "Good Times." It's a dark, comic-book style work about anxiety, which he says can hinder his creativity.
He says he started with ink, then scanned it and added color, as comic books are often produced. Pop art and comics are his inspiration.
Smith says he looks forward to an artistic career in graphic design.
The Pump House listed the winners:
- Best of Show: Dominick Smith Title of Piece: Good Times Unioto High School
- 1st Place: Ayla Fisher Title Old Fear Chillicothe High School High School
- 2nd Place: Ayla Fisher Title of Piece: After the Storm Chillicothe High School
- 3rd Place Sarah Quanci Title of Piece: Star Gazing Unioto High School
- Hon. Mention: Katelyn Weber Title of Piece: Valentines Bear Paint Valley High School
- Hon. Mention: Luzella Faulkner Title of Piece: Pescaria Unioto High School
- Hon,. Mention: Jessica Grey Title of Piece: Day Dream Unioto High School
- Hon. Mention: Allison Gozy Title of Piece: Me Chillicothe High School
Unioto High School received a $200 cash award to be used for art supplies in the high school art department, as the school which produced the "Best of Show" art.
Kevin Coleman regularly reports on Chillicothe & Circleville councils and local culture